Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Toshiba A105 DC Jack Repair

The Toshiba A105 series laptops use a cable style dc jack unlike the traditional dc jacks that have pins soldered onto the motherboard. Nine times out of ten when someone thinks they have a dc jack problem on a model like this it's a bad ac adapter.
The ac adapter checked out but I wasn't able to get the laptop to power on. I tried to wiggle and position it in every way with no luck.
With the A105 you can remove the memory cover and see where the dc jack cable plugs in. I simply unplugged the old one and plugged in a new dc jack and the laptop powered on. I tore down the laptop and installed the new dc jack. The laptop now powers on and charges the battery.

5 comments:

Rungreen said...

Hmmm.... isn't there soldering to be done there? I have this prob right now. If you have any info, please email me at bonds77@yahoo.com.

Pomeroy Computing said...

The A105 uses a cable that's connected with the dc jack that connects to the motherboard. When I did this repair I replaced the cable and the dc jack. Did you make sure your ac adapter is working?

Rungreen said...

It appears to be working. That is soldered to the motherboard, correct? I don't want to get into it if i might mess it up. TIA for your help.

Pomeroy Computing said...

The dc jack on this laptop is not soldered onto the laptop motherboard. The dc jack is soldered to a cable that plugs into the motherboard.

CAT Computers said...

I haven't had much luck finding a repair manual for the A105 I have here.. do you know where I can find a guide on what to take apart to physically get the jack out?

Or can you explain it?