Tuesday, December 11, 2007

HP DV8000 DC Jack Repair

This hp dv8000 came in with the symptom of not being able to charge the battery. I pulled the battery and the laptop could power up. After letting it idle in Windows for a while the laptop would randomly shutoff. My first thought was a bad motherboard. After letting it sit for even longer I would attempt to power it up and the dv8000 would power up for about five seconds and shut off again.
These laptops have 17" screens and they come with a 65 watt ac adapter so I used a 90 watt adapter and the laptop would function like a normal laptop again. I was able to do a full battery charge and the laptop stayed powered on for days.
It seems it was simply a bad or failing ac adapter.

1 comment:

Kal Kainen said...

I don't know if you are ok with people posting questions here or not, but my DV8000 has the same problem with not charging the battery. It will run just fine plugged in, but the battery is plugged in, 0% not charging status.... HP replaced the battery, and the ac adapter... but nadda. Any ideas?