Monday, December 3, 2007

HP ZD7000 DC Power Jack Repair



This laptop came in with a broken center pin that was still stuck inside the adapter. Sometimes the pin can be pushed down and the adapter will function properly again. I wasn't able to get this one to budge.
The laptop wouldn't power on but some front lights flashed when I hit the power button.
Once the laptop was torn down the dc jack and motherboard area looked like it had no signs of damage. I de-soldered the old dc jack and replaced it with a new one. After it was all put back together it powered on with no problems.
To test the laptops that come with the hard drives removed I use a linux bootable cd. This lets me test sound, network, and other parts of the laptop.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Where can I find a replacement jack? My girlfriend has a zd7000 with the same broken pin stuck in the adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pomeroy Computing said...

You can buy the dc jack on the same page as the ZD7000 blog entry on the right side.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I removed my dc jack,but some of the legs broke of inside the motherboard.I can't seem to remove them. Is this repairable