Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Dell Inspiron 1150


Every once in a while I get a laptop that has already been taken apart. Of course I provide no warranty for this kind of repair but will still do it. With a laptop like the Dell 1150 it's very easy to put together from scratch with all the screws mixed up.
Someone had already attempted the repair and statistically that's bad. The repair attempt was very poor and some of the circuitry around the dc jack area was mangled and needed repair. I'd say this works about 30% of the time when an unexperienced tech has had there way with it.
I replaced the jack and got the laptop back together and it's charging again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I just re-soldered the power jack on an HP zv5330us (Pavillion).

A successful disassembly/re-assembly. Only one extra screw when finished ;-) and nothing broken or cracked.

Now the machine is totally reliable on the A.C. adapter.

The charge light comes on and goes off within a few seconds while the machine is off, and the battery never charges.

I've also tried charging it overnight with the machine in standby. In this mode, the charge light flashes on and off, but the battery never charges.

Am I looking at a bad battery pack or a bad charging circuit on the mobo?

Any advice greatly apreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Pomeroy Computing said...

I'm assuming it wasn't like this before you did the repair?
I would take the laptop apart and put it back together. Maybe something isn't seated properly.