Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Dell Inspiron E1505 Power Plug

This dell came in with the standard symptoms of not charging the battery or working on AC power.
It's becoming a more popular dell laptop were seeing as of late along with the E1405, E1705, E1401, E1501, and E1701. I believe this line of dell laptops is the predecessor to the Inspiron 6000 and 6400 series.
This uses the standard nine pin dc jack that dell has been using for the last four to five years.
Before opening the laptop I could hold the ac adapter plug at an upward angle and the laptop would power on. As soon as I let go the laptop would instantly power off.
You need to completely take apart this laptop to get to the dc jack.
When the laptop was all torn down I noticed a small burn mark next to a small chip on the motherboard called the power filter. I cleaned the area with electronic cleaner and re-soldered the power filter chip.
The power plug tested fine with a volt-meter and felt pretty solid so it wasn't replaced.
After re-assembling the laptop it powers on fine and the bad power filter was the culprit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Need to fix my own power connector too for my Inspiron 6000:/

I've taken the laptop apart down to the motherboard, but don't know what to do:/

Anonymous said...

This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. dell inspiron e1505 parts