Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dell Inspiron 1525 PP29L DC Power Jack Repair


This Dell Inspiron 1525 (PP29L) laptop came in with a very loose dc jack. I couldn't get the laptop to power on by holding the adapter tip but nonetheless very loose. I really like to get then to power up before I do the plug replacement but that's not always the case. The best analogy I can think of is it's almost like a loose tooth. The more you wiggle the worse it will get then eventually break free. If you're experiencing this problem with ANY laptop stop right away. Wiggling the adapter plug to much can damage the motherboard.
The dell 1525 notebook needs to be completely taken apart to access the dc jack. It uses a separate circuit board that attaches to the motherboard. A standard nine pin, barrel style foxconn dc jack is used on this model. It is soldered to that separate board.
When I got down to the circuit board I could see someone had attempted to solder it on their own. It was loosely hanging from the circuit board and looked beat up. In this case we replaced the entire board to ensure a long lasting repair.
Once replaced the laptop powers on and charges the battery again!

No comments: